Monday, February 2, 2009

Speaking of Eating Your Own Dog Food…

TeemingPod was designed for web developers who want to add social interaction to sites and applications. As someone involved in the making of TeemingPod, I’m quite excited about the platform. So, when someone asked me last week “How do YOU use TeemingPod?” I thought I would reply through this post.

Speaking of eating your own dog food, we use TeemingPod in a variety of innovative ways, and today I am going to describe the most unusual one.

The TeemingPod product team uses TeemingPod to report their daily work activities. Surprised? Wonder how they do it? Read on…

First, the background. Flash back to January 2008. Every Friday, my inbox received weekly reports from all ten engineers in the product team, and my task was to consolidate them in one report. It was a tedious job to get a snapshot of the week’s output from ten different reports. It got worse as the team grew.

There were further challenges: keeping the reports organized in folders, making them accessible during travel, tracking who has not reported, going back and forth to get reports in the right format, and so on. All this consumed a huge amount of my productive time.

Now, the big idea. One Friday, when I was fretting over this weekly chore, one team member came up with a bright idea: Can’t we use TeemingPod instead of these reports?

The objections were immediate: TeemingPod has polls, debates, FAQs and so on, but it does not have a “Reporting” activity. That wouldn’t stop our creative minds, so someone suggested: Can’t we use the Debate activity for reporting?

“How so?” I asked. And the ideas flowed. Everyday, we could create a “debate”, identified by today’s date as the “topic.” Every team member’s work becomes a “view” within the debate. Each team member simply logs into the pod and enters his “view” of the day. The team manager accesses the pod to get a daily report.

That day we realized that creativity has not stopped at the product itself, but it continues on how can we effectively use a TeemingPod activity in our day-to-day life.

The system went into operation in February 2008.

Fast forward to today. We have been using this reporting mechanism for almost a year now. Our team reports that TeemingPod has had over 250 “debates” as of today, which I can scan in no time by simply accessing the pod. I can search for information in a single click. Now searching for information like bug 239 is no longer time-consuming. Nor do I have to worry about reports while traveling. There is no headache of arranging them in a proper format and no back and forth of emails. It is all there in a single pod and a single click away, anytime, anywhere!

Of course, the content of the pod is secured, as only my team members are invited to the pod.

Now for the bonus benefits. TeemingPod has helped me a lot to raise my team’s enthusiasm and motivation. If a team member does a great job or solves a complex issue, I simply give him or her a TeamingPod thumbs-up. This increases their ranking on that day (their view’s ranking in the debate). This has introduced a healthy competition within the team to do their task in the best possible way and become the team member of the day.

This is how we have been using TeemingPod as a daily reporting tool for a year. I can definitely state that usage of TeemingPod is limited only by its users’ creativity!

No comments: